Tuesday, April 1, 2014

4.1 Random Sampling

The handful of games that i'll have my eye on today:

Blue Jays (0-1) vs. Rays (1-0)

The Tampa Bay Rays got their season started off on the right foot. For the Blue Jays, it may only be one game but they are already behind the eight ball. Casey Janssen was placed on the disabled list to start the season. As I had him on my fantasy team, I had to make an adjustment and was able to pick up his replacement for now (Sergio Santos) off of the waiver wire. The best-case scenario for this is that his performance resembles what he did last year 236 ERA+, .584 WHIP, 9.8 K/9 and this turns out to be one of those sneaky good moves that makes me look like a genius.

Brewers (1-0) vs. Braves (0-1)

I was definitely happy to see the Brewers season start out on the right foot. I was able to catch about a half inning of this game while eating lunch and Yovani Gallardo seemed to be on top of things. Also, with  this being Ryan Braun's first regular season game after his suspension, he did get a standing ovation in his first plate appearance. This led to commentators from all over the place to insult Brewers fans (not cool) and try to play moral police and say who we should and should not cheer for. It's one thing to get on Braun's case for things that have been done but let the fans cheer if they feel like cheering.

It was also revealed that it was decided sometime yesterday that Jim Henderson lost the closer job to K-Rod. I'm glad that this decision is paying off initially as K-Rod converted his first save opportunity. Since I had Henderson on my fantasy team, I decided to act quick and add Matt Lindstrom who won the closer job for the White Sox.

Diamondbacks (0-3) vs. Giants (1-0)

I was able to catch parts of this game (thanks to the At Bat app on my phone that came along with my mlb.tv subscription). While doing dishes last night, I was listening in the 2nd/3rd inning when Angel Pagan drove in the games first run. I went back to watching the game in the seventh inning right as Brad Ziegler was giving up a game-tying bases loaded walk. I was watching on my phone until the bottom of the 8th inning when I was getting ready to go to sleep. Since I was still interested in what was going on with this game, I switched to the audio feed on KNBR as I was drifting off to sleep land (but not before Buster Posey hit a go-ahead two run homer).

Angels (0-1) vs. Mariners (1-0)

While I was paying more attention to the Giants/Diamondbacks game on my phone, I also caught part of the Angels/Mariners game (which was on ESPN and one of the local sports channels). This game also appeared to be pretty close when I was awake but it appears that the Mariners pulled away (which I didn't know about until I woke up).

Indians (1-0) vs. Athletics (0-1) 

Out of the three games that were going on from about 9-9:45 PM last night, this game was the odd one out that I wasn't watching it (even though this game also turned out to be entertaining). Either way, I was happy to see that Sonny Gray pitched six very strong innings (though he did not get that arbitrary win). It also looks like John Axford is off to a good start as he got the save for the Indians.

No comments:

Post a Comment